Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Hurray I am so happy, as happy as can be..!

I am really chuffed to have been announced as one of the Future 100 Young Social Entrepreneurs of the YearAs part of Global Entrepreneurship Week 2009, the Future 100 Awards puts the spotlight on young people aged 18-35 (I just about make that cut...) who are "demonstrating entrepreneurial flair and innovation in running a responsible business venture; one which demonstrates a balance between economic, environmental and social goals to achieve ultimate business success." 




I've been passionate about people with learning disabilities since my days as a volunteer with Special Olympics. The way they face the challenges that life throws at them is totally inspirational. Wanting to work with them made me decide to work for myself and it's the best move I ever made.


Less than ten percent of people with learning disabilities who are known to social services are employed. More often than not, they are not paid for the work they do. One of my former employees spent over 5 years working at a major UK retailer. Every Saturday and Sunday, come rain or shine, he collected trolleys in the car park, rolling them back to the trolley ranks. He did it with a smile on his face. He was never late. He worked all the unpopular weekend shifts. He never missed a day. And he was never paid for his time. In fact, when he asked for paid employment, his 5 year work experience came to an end. It makes me so angry. Recession or not, everyone has a right to be paid for the work they do.



When I started Share the Feeling, my aim was to demonstrate the positive business benefits of including people with learning disabilities in a workforce. Happily, I now employ 3 people (part time) with learning disabilities - Doris, Sylvia and Lindy - who put together the gifts you buy. The way they do it, with such pride, love and fun, is the truly magic ingredient that goes to making our gifts more special than others. It might sound corny, but it's a hundred percent true. 





Founder of Striding Out and organiser of the Future100 awards, Heather Wilkinson said: "The future of our world is in the hands of individuals who are committed to generating commercial and ethical returns." 
I couldn't agree more. 



The Future 100 Awards is organized by Striding Out www.stridingout.co.uk, a social enterprise which is committed to supporting the development and growth of young and ethical entrepreneurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment